The Creek

The Creek
This creek wraps itself around the 38 acres of lower camp and defines the border. Acres of hills, lowlands, a bluff, and a meadow. Up from the creek a bit the camp continues with 20 acres of high ridge leading to over 100 acres of deep pine forest, brooks, and marsh.All of it lies in the middle of a 1200 acre woods. Walk north and you're in 6 million Adirondack acres. Bring a camera, you might just see moose, bear, coyote or deer here. Cross the creek and you're in my mini-camp, with guest cabin and road access.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Cabin (sort of)

What's land without a cabin right? I've spend countless hours day dreaming about designs, sizes, styles and locations for one of my own.

Now I don't know whether to call a cabin a cabin or call it a lodge. But then, I also thought I was on a river. So did IslandGirl and my boy. Sure looked like one. Everyone says it's called a creek. I thought I was building a cabin. Everyone told me up north it's called a camp. In fact I'm not even sure if a camp refers to the land, the land and cabin, or just the cabin. Some people with only land tell me they have a camp. My builder John said last, "let's orient your porch so your camp faces the river". Anyway, I'll work all that out later. Here's a few photos and video of my future cabin. It's not built yet, but don't let that fool you. It's existed since I began visiting websites, looking at floor plans, and spending lots of time and money on things that go inside of it, even if there isn't any inside yet!

Logging trail down to river

On my culdesac

My logs at John's mill

Bark stripped and ready for visible rafters

Yours truly on a beautiful November day

Rough cut and ready for roofing and siding
My neighbor John built this 16 x 24 for a song. It inspired a larger but similar Appalachain design for my own.
I photoshopped the 24ft original to my own 36ft plan. My siding will be Adirondack style. Also called "live edge" siding, up here they refer to it as "crazy man" siding but I haven't a clue as to why!

Notice the use of whole timber in many elements of the design







No comments:

Post a Comment