The Creek

The Creek
This creek wraps itself around the 38 acres of lower camp and defines the border. Acres of hills, lowlands, a bluff, and a meadow. Up from the creek a bit the camp continues with 20 acres of high ridge leading to over 100 acres of deep pine forest, brooks, and marsh.All of it lies in the middle of a 1200 acre woods. Walk north and you're in 6 million Adirondack acres. Bring a camera, you might just see moose, bear, coyote or deer here. Cross the creek and you're in my mini-camp, with guest cabin and road access.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Swallowing my Pride

"My final offer of $25K is, well, my final offer". I know I said it. At the time I felt it. I mean, who wouldn't feel a bit of indignation knowing that they were getting hardballed on the price. I was buying a pig in a poke. He knew it. I knew it. But this isn't any pig. All in all, it's not such a bad piece. Buildable.., 5 acres.., slower riverfront where trout love to stay.., but not nearly worth the money asked. So why did I buckle and meet his bottom-line of $30K? Because this piece is so strategically placed across the dirt roadway that enters my camp. It means the difference from the road being mine, or being shared with a new neighbor across the path; a neighbor who could build a big eyesore and let his pack of dogs out to chase out any quiet left here. I can't take that chance.

I caved. But I am not sorry. If I had lost the piece over a few thousand only to ruin the solitude here at my camp, I'd have kicked myself forever. Nope. Despite paying a few thousand too much, I made the wise decision in the long run. Let the emotions be taken out of it now. It is a fait-accompli. There remains only lot 3. It borders another dirt road that doesn't lie adjacent to any of my lots. It lies beside a brackish river, is marked by low swampy riverfront, and high ravine cut grounds. A neighbor, who by all appearances is not so neighborly, borders it. I am content with the camp now. Even at half price, the remaining piece wouldn't interest me. So it is be a 30 acre camp. Not too shabby..not to shabby.




Looking down the dirt road that enters the Cul-de-Sac. Lot 4 is on the immediate left and extends along to the car.
   

IslandMom-IslandDad walking in cul-de-sac towards camp. Directly behind them is lot 4.
The creek moves gently on lot 4


No comments:

Post a Comment