The Creek

The Creek
This creek wraps itself around the 38 acres of lower camp and defines the border. Acres of hills, lowlands, a bluff, and a meadow. Up from the creek a bit the camp continues with 20 acres of high ridge leading to over 100 acres of deep pine forest, brooks, and marsh.All of it lies in the middle of a 1200 acre woods. Walk north and you're in 6 million Adirondack acres. Bring a camera, you might just see moose, bear, coyote or deer here. Cross the creek and you're in my mini-camp, with guest cabin and road access.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Some minor changes...


Before heading up to the camp next weekend, I thought I'd put to writing a few of the more minor changes I've made this last week. First, the porch will now be a full 10 feet deep. Most porches are 6ft and the builder is fond of 8ft porches. I agree. But between the cabin and creek is the porch, which if I'm correct will be where we spend a great deal of time, 10ft depth allows for a more relaxed arrangement of furniture and more walking space. I plan on the outdoorsy all weather wicker or wood furniture with soft cushions. The kind you see that looks at home in a sunroom. 

Second change is that the siding will no longer be horizontal live edge. Too rustic. Not that it doesn't have a certain rugged charm. It's just that after passing some older homes, I noticed the siding had turned from a nice tan to a silver and black, and had developed a beat up old wood shed appearance. That's a bit too much for me. I'm going with rough cut board and batten, which I will stain a tannish brown.

Lastly, owing to the charm of the smaller guest cabin's wide openness, I've decided to cut some trees around the camp project to allow for a 40 ft margin of lawn around my cabin. This will let in the sun, minimize that deep dark woods feel, and allow a better view of the creek.

A doctor in the boondocks? A "boon doc" of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment