The Creek

The Creek
This creek wraps itself around the 38 acres of lower camp and defines the border. Acres of hills, lowlands, a bluff, and a meadow. Up from the creek a bit the camp continues with 20 acres of high ridge leading to over 100 acres of deep pine forest, brooks, and marsh.All of it lies in the middle of a 1200 acre woods. Walk north and you're in 6 million Adirondack acres. Bring a camera, you might just see moose, bear, coyote or deer here. Cross the creek and you're in my mini-camp, with guest cabin and road access.

Monday, November 28, 2011

One Year Later

Here we are again, at the tail end of fall. I remember walking around in the forest this time last year. As I recall, the lot had just been cleared and I was making plans for how the cabin would look. Since then, it's been a great year. Many things yet to do, but so much accomplished. Happily, insulating the guest cabin made a world of difference. It's now possible to sleep comfortably in 60 degrees while outside drops below freezing. It also made it possible to get more work done while saving money on all those nights I used to spend at the motel.

Added floor joists to close off the cathedral ceiling. The ceilings are very high to begin with and frankly, in a cabin this small, space is more important. This will double the loft size and add two more bunks.

Nice to have dad along helping. I always learn from him and the job goes from being work, to being a pleasure. The wall on dad's right shoulder will feature a glass door to bring in light and take you out to a small veranda. Beds will be positioned to either side of the door.
I added insulation and felt an immediate change. Even the small propane heater warms the cabin up nicely.


In anticipation of electricity in the next 6-8 weeks, the guest cabin will have all the creature comforts. Thanks, Mom and Dad for the white stove. It's a birthday gift.


Hunting season has been fun. I've only thrown myself into it half-heartedly as there's been so many things underway. I haven't seen a single buck, bear, or anything else for that matter. Only a few red squirrels. But it's been fun anyway. I learned a lot about nature, spent great sunrises and sunsets outside, from inside my deep woods blind, or up in my tree stand, and made friends doing it. It's not about the kill. For me, it's about knowing I could live off the land if I had too. It's also an activity that takes us back to our very roots as hunter gatherers. So while I sat around the woods waiting, and waiting, and waiting, it's been great. Next year for sure.
20ft to the platform offer the best view in the house!
Up in the stand just after nightfall.
In the dark, it's easy to forget you're 20ft up!
A wonderful thing to see on the trails. Those aren't Nike's!
Just after sun up at the guest camp.

23 degrees left a frost on the ground. With sunrise, all traces of it will be erased from the eyes of  late sleepers.
I was walking across the camp as the snow came down. Silence in the forest broken only by the sound of low flying geese. What a nice feeling to be in nature, any time of year.




No comments:

Post a Comment